Articles in this section
Hour of Code 2021: Timecraft
Hour of Code 2021 (TimeCraft)
As a computer scientist for the Institute of Major Time Errors, it’s your job to correct the mysterious Time Splits appearing in history and to find who (or what!) is causing them.
Will you help fix the Time Splits and save history using your coding superpowers?
Will you find out the truth about who, or what, is causing these crazy changes in history?
In your TimeCraft mission, you need to:
- Travel back to exciting moments in world history
- Code your Time Agent to fix the Time Splits
- Use the clues to identify the Culprit (who or what is causing the Time Splits)
By the end of the lesson the students will:
- Understand the importance and benefits of computer science in all aspects of our lives
- Apply concepts of algorithmic thinking and problem decomposition in Hour of Code and other content areas
- Iterate on coding solutions to create a program to successfully complete a task
- Build aware around CS career connections
- This lesson is not designed as a multiplayer experience. Each individual student should work in their own version of the world.
- Divide students into pairs or small groups via breakout rooms so they can help one another troubleshoot as they solve coding puzzles.
- Given that students are likely to have varying levels of familiarity with Minecraft and coding, it may help to assign student group leaders to help peers who may get stuck.