Articles in this section
Welcome to the Hour of Code 2023: Generation AI!
The future is on its way — and it’s AI-powered!
In Minecraft Hour of Code: Generation AI, students venture through time to create AI-powered inventions. They activate problem-solving skills, creativity, and computational thinking to explore Responsible AI principles. Through MakeCode blocks or Python coding, Hour of Code allows anyone to learn the basics of coding and discover ways to build a better AI for everyone.
The journey starts with an unexpected visit from the Agent, who comes with an urgent mission. They’ll guide your students through a series of future scenarios where they correct problems stemming from wayward AI tools. Throughout the challenges, learners resolve issues around fairness and discrimination, reliability and safety, and more as they progress toward an epic finale.
Minecraft Hour of Code: Generation AI won’t just inspire students to learn coding basics. It will also drive thoughtful discussions about the ethical implications of coding and AI development The lesson is available for free in Minecraft Education at aka.ms/hourofcode.
By the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Explain the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its relevance in different aspects of our daily lives.
- Explore the rules that make sure AI is helpful, safe, and fair for everyone.
- Utilize coding concepts and computational thinking to develop algorithmic reasoning and problem decomposition skills for creating effective coding solutions.
- Understand the potential impacts of AI on people and society
- Apply new learning about AI to gain awareness of CS career connections.
- Educator Guide
- Educator Walk-thru video
- Lesson Trailer
- Certificate of Completion
- Flyer to promote your Hour of Code with Minecraft!
- Hour of Code Lesson FAQ