Articles in this section
Welcome to the Trails & Tales Update (v1.20.13) for Minecraft Education! This update includes initial improvements to increase the reliability of multiplayer connections and adds a fun new feature set: camel and sniffer mobs, bamboo, bookcases, and hanging signs, plus cherry groves and archaeology sites ready for your students to explore. We’ve also upgraded the coding Agent’s range and abilities and launched a more user-friendly Templates page.
Learn how to update your device to the latest version.
Please let us know all about the things you love, as well as challenges you run into by contributing to our feedback or technical forums.
Trails & Tales Hotfix (v1.20.13)
- Changed default game mode for new worlds back to creative
- Some sign-in failures will be automatically retried
- Improved some multiplayer error messages to make them easier to understand
From the Trails & Tales Update (v1.20)
Version 1.20 brings some exciting features and changes to worlds. Here are some highlights:
- New feature (archaeology)
- New blocks (bamboo, cherry, suspicious sand and gravel, decorated pots, pitcher plant, chiseled bookshelf)
- New items (trimmed armor, hanging signs, editable and two sided signs, pottery sherds, torchflowers, pitcher pod, calibrated skulk sensors)
- New mobs (sniffer, camel)
- Biomes & Structures (trail ruins, cherry grove)
- This update includes initial multiple bug fixes to increase the reliability of multiplayer connections and decrease the number of disconnections during a multiplayer session.
- While we’ve made some improvements to address performance issues, it’s still possible you may experience issues when hosting multiplayer sessions from devices with lower hardware specifications and/or busy Wi-Fi networks. See the Known Issues section below for more details.
My Templates Page Updates
- Use the “My Templates” button beside the search bar on “My Worlds” to switch between worlds and templates.
Coding Agent Updates
- The agent now has no range restrictions. It can now move and build far away from the player
- The agent now has an animation for unsuccessful actions
- The agent now chooses which item to detect or interact with in a “line of sight” in the direction the code specified, up to 1 block away.
Some users may encounter these issues. If you do, reach out to our support team and we can help.
- Some schools report issues where after a certain number of users join a multiplayer host (varies per host device), users begin experiencing disconnections and join failures in that session. We’re actively investigating this, but we believe wired ethernet connections and higher spec devices may alleviate this issue.
- See this article for more info
- We've seen some reports of missing worlds from users who are uninstalling old versions and reinstalling the latest v1.20 client. This is because we switched the default install on our website from the desktop app version to the Store version. These two apps have different folder setups.
- Some users report that pressing 'C' does not start coding.
- Workaround: Go to Settings > Keyboard & Mouse > Code Builder and map the key to 'C' key.
Code Connection Support Ending
We will be ending support for Code Connection - the companion app for coding in Minecraft Bedrock on Windows - on December 1, 2023. On that date, the application will be removed for download from the Microsoft Store. We will continue to actively support Code Builder – the coding environment seamlessly integrated into Minecraft Education which eliminates the need for a separate application.