Articles in this section
Once you've purchased either Microsoft 365 (A3 or A5) or Minecraft: Education Edition direct licenses in the Admin Center, you'll need to assign these licenses to users to grant them access to the app. The steps for assigning either a Microsoft 365 subscription bundle or a Minecraft: Education Edition license is the same with the exception of Microsoft 365 having a toggle to enable/disable Minecraft: Education Edition use. This toggle is set to enable access to Minecraft: Education Edition by default.
Microsoft has introduced new plans for Microsoft 365 A3, and A5. These new “Unified” plans combine the individual M365 components (Office 365, Windows Enterprise, EMS) into a single license, making it easier for customers to assign and manage their M365 licenses in the Office 365 Admin Center.
Note: If you are not sure which type of license you have, contact our support team and we'll help you out!
Assign or Remove a Minecraft: Education Edition license from a user
If your school organization has purchased a Microsoft 365 A3 or A5 plan, the Minecraft: Education Edition license is automatically included for each account that you assign the A3 or A5 license to. For Minecraft: Education Edition access, you'll need to assign a user either a Microsoft 365 subscription or a direct Minecraft: Education Edition license to their account.
- Sign in to your Microsoft 365 account.
- From the left-hand menu, select Users
- From the Users list, select the users you want to add or remove the license from
- Add the relevant license if it hasn't been assigned already. Note that if the user has any kind of faculty license, the user will be assigned an instructor role in the application and will have elevated permissions.
- If you assigned a Microsoft 365 subscription bundle (A3 or A5), you'll need to ensure Minecraft: Education Edition is toggled on or off, depending on if you want to add or remove Minecraft: Education Edition from the user (it will be on by default)
NOTE: Granting a license will immediately allow the user to access the app. Removing the Minecraft: Education Edition license can take up to 30 days for the user to lose access. Changing the A3/A5 license type from faculty to student can take up to 7 days for role change to affect Minecraft: Education Edition.