Minecraft: Education Edition can be installed on supported devices through both the managed Google Play Store and consumer Google Play Store. This article provides information on how to install Minecraft: Education Edition on Chromebook.
Before you begin
Before installing Minecraft: Education Edition, ensure these prerequisites are met.
- Your Chromebook must meet the system requirements, see System Requirements.
- Users need to have the correct permissions based on the set up and installation method used at your organization.
- Your Chromebook must support the Google Play Store.
- All 2019 or newer Chromebooks support the Play Store.
- For 2018 or earlier devices, see Chrome OS Systems Supporting Android Apps.
Note: Not all devices that support Android apps are compatible with Minecraft: Education Edition.
- For managed Google Play Store, the Store, Android apps, and Minecraft: Education Edition must be enabled for users.
Considerations for Shared Devices
There are a few considerations to be aware of if the Chromebook is shared between multiple students, world storage, hard drive usage, and installation.
Minecraft: Education Edition, worlds are stored locally on the device. If students frequently change devices or if accounts are removed when the student signs out, we strongly suggest exporting worlds and saving them to cloud storage or removable storage before signing off the Chromebook.
Hard Drive Usage
Applications are kept separately for each user. This means each account on the device has an independent installation of Minecraft: Education Edition. When installing, you need to plan for 350 - 500 MB (250 MB for the application and 100 – 250 MB for worlds) per user sharing the device.
The managed Google Play Store keeps an application download cache that is shared across all users on a device to expedite installation. This means that the bandwidth to download the application should be once per device for users within the same domain.
Install Minecraft: Education Edition manually
Follow these steps to install Minecraft: Education Edition on Chromebook from the consumer Google Play Store.
- From the Chromebook section of the Get Minecraft: Education Edition page, select Chromebook.
Result: The Google Play Store opens.
- Select Install.
Result: Minecraft: Education Edition is installed and ready to play.
For assistance with the managed Google Play Store, see these articles:
- Guidelines for deploying Android apps on Chromebooks
- Deploy Android apps to managed users on Chromebooks
- Manage app updates
For assistance installing Minecraft: Education Edition from the consumer Google Play Store, see Get Android apps & digital content from the Google Play Store.