Articles in this section
Purchase Commercial Licenses
Anyone can purchase commercial licenses of Minecraft Education – including camps, clubs, homeschools and other organizations. To purchase licenses, you need to have a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account. If you do not have a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account, you can set one up for free. This article provides information on how to:
- Check if you have Microsoft 365 Admin Center account
- Set up a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account and purchase Minecraft Education licenses
- Make a first-time purchase of Minecraft Education licenses for an existing Microsoft 365 Admin Center account
- Purchase additional Minecraft Education licenses
Microsoft 365 Admin Center is where you purchase and manage your licenses
Your Microsoft 365 Admin Center account allows you to purchase licenses and manage the users that will access Minecraft Education. It is free to set up an account and does not obligate you to any subscriptions or purchases unless you specifically authorize them.
Check if you have a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account
Follow these steps to check if you have a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account and determine how you will purchase licenses.
- Navigate to the Minecraft Education purchase page on the admin center
- Enter your organizational email address and click Next.
Note: If you don’t have an email address from an organization, enter your personal email address.
If you/your organization is …
Set up with a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account
Select Sign in and access your account.
If you have permission to make purchases and want to purchase additional licenses, see Make a first-time purchase of licenses for an existing Microsoft 365 Admin Center account.
If you do not have permission to make purchases, contact your IT administrator to purchase licenses.
Not set up with a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account
Select Set up account and then follow the instructions below in the Create a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account and purchase licenses section.
Create a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account and purchase licenses
The process for first-time purchases of licenses includes the process for creating a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account. This section walks you through the stages of creating your Microsoft 365 Admin Center account and purchasing Minecraft Education licenses.
1. If you haven’t already, follow the steps in the Check if you have a Microsoft 365 Center account section to start the account creation process.
2. Provide information about yourself and verify your identity.
Provide information about yourself and your organization. All the fields in this section must be filled out to continue setting up your account. If you aren't part of a company or organization, enter your personal contact phone number as your business phone number and your last name as your company name.
After you provide the information about yourself, click Next. Then select your preferred verification method (call or text) and follow the instructions provided to complete the verification process.
3. Set up an onmicrosoft.com domain and create your Microsoft 365 Admin Center user ID
Provide a name for your onmicrosoft.com domain. Ideally, this should be a simple, easy-to-remember name as it will be part of your Microsoft 365 Admin Center user ID.
After you enter a name, click Check availability. If the name you provided is available, select Next and follow the instructions to finish creating your Microsoft 365 Admin Center account user ID. Your user ID will be a combination of the domain name you provided, the name you provide in this section, and ‘onmicrosoft.com’.
Example: If you entered Doe as your domain name and John as your username, your user ID for Microsoft 365 Admin Center is John@Doe.onmicrosoft.com.
Once you have provided a name and password, select Sign up. After you select Sign up, your Microsoft 365 Admin Center account is set up.
IMPORTANT: Make note of the user ID and password you create here. This will be used to sign into the Microsoft 365 Admin Center, where you purchase licenses and manage the users that will access Minecraft Education.
4. Select the number of licenses to purchase and provide payment information
Select the number of Minecraft Education licenses you want to purchase and select Add payment method. Continue through the account creation wizard to finalize your purchase.
Once you select Place order, your Minecraft Education licenses are purchased and can be managed in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center. Select Get started to log into the Microsoft 365 Admin Center and start creating users and assigning licenses.
Note that if you created a new email/domain during this process, which is common, you'll need to login to the Microsoft Admin Center using that email and the password you created for it.
Congratulations! You've now purchased a Minecraft Education subscription! There are just a few last steps before you can log into the app.
5. Create users in the Admin Center
If you're going to assign licenses to people other than yourself, you'll need to first create users for them under your Microsoft 365 account. If you only want to assign a license to yourself, skip to section number 6, "Assign users Minecraft Education licenses".
- After selecting Get Started and logging into the Microsoft Admin Center with the Microsoft 365 account you purchased under, you should see a navigational menu on the left side of your screen. Select Users and in the drop down menu select Active Users.
- The Active Users screen is where you can find any existing users. If this is a new account, you'll only see your administration account here. To create a new user, select Add a user in the center horizontal menu on this page.
- In the pop up page, you'll need to fill out some basic information for this new user, including a username they'll use to login to their account (and Minecraft Education). If you'd like to create a password instead of generating a random one, uncheck Automatically create a password and fill that in. When you're done, select Next at the bottom of the page.
- Here, you can skip having to manually assign licenses later by ensuring Assign user a product license and selecting Minecraft Education below under Apps. Select Next to continue.
- On the following page, you can add Administrative permissions or profile info, which is all optional. Hit Next to continue.
- Review the info on the final page and if everything looks correct select Finish adding on the bottom of the page!
Result: If you opted to assign this new user a Minecraft Education license, they should be able to login using the email and password you created here! If you opted not to yet, continue in the following section to manually assign a Minecraft Education license.
6. Assign users Minecraft Education licenses
Assigning licenses to existing users is also done in the Microsoft Admin Center.
- To assign an existing user a Minecraft Education license once it is purchased, select Billing on the left navigational menu in Microsoft Admin Center and then select Your products in the dropdown.
- You should see Minecraft Education listed under your products, click on the name to open a new page.
- From this new page, select Assign licenses under the Licenses assigned from all subscriptions section.
- Here you'll see your various users listed. Select Assign licenses in the horizontal menu above the users.
- In the pop up window, enter the name of the user you'd like to assign a license to.
- Once you've selected the correct user, under Turn apps and services on or off, ensure Minecraft Education is checked. Then select Assign.
Result: This user should now be able to sign into the Minecraft Education app.
Make a first-time purchase of licenses for an existing Microsoft 365 Admin Center account
Follow these steps if you already have a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account and have not purchased Minecraft Education licenses.
- If you haven’t already, follow the steps in the Check if you have a Microsoft Admin Center account section to access your account.
- Review and update your organizational profile as needed.
Note: If you aren’t part of an organization, use your personal address, phone number, and email address.
- Review and update your payment method.
- Select the number of licenses to purchase.
- Select Place order.
Result: Your Minecraft Education licenses are purchased and can be managed in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center. Select assign users to your new subscription to start creating users and assigning licenses.
Purchase additional licenses
Follow these steps if you already have a Microsoft 365 Admin Center account and have purchased at least one Minecraft Education license.
- Sign in to your Microsoft 365 account.
- From the left-hand menu, select Billing > Your products.
- Select Minecraft: Education Edition > Buy licenses.
- From the Buy licenses menu, select the quantity and click Save.