Welcome to the Minecraft: Education Edition Learn to Code Beta. We’re excited to help you get going! This article has platform-specific guidance for installing the beta onto your device.
Prior to installation
If you are on Windows or Mac you will need to remove your current version before downloading and installing the Beta. Be sure to backup your worlds.
The full features of beta are available for Chromebook, iPad, Windows and Mac users with a valid Office 365 education account. The demo lesson is available to all users.
- Opt into the Beta on Chromebook by following the "Get beta versions of apps" instructions here
- Download the beta for Mac OS.
- General information on getting started with Minecraft: Education Edition on Mac is available here.
- Join the TestFlight beta program by tapping this link on your iPad.
- Apple will notify you when a new version of Minecraft: Education Edition is available for testing.
- You can downgrade to the App Store version of Minecraft: Education Edition at any time by just re-downloading it from the Apple App Store.
- Learn more about TestFlight.
- Get started with Minecraft: Education Edition on iPad.
We have two different versions of the app for Windows. Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Store and Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Desktop offer identical feature sets and functionality.
Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Store is particularly well-suited to one-to-one device scenarios, whereas Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Desktop may be easier to deploy and manage on shared PCs. See the table below for recommendations based on device configuration and operating system.
If you are downloading the Beta on Windows, please uninstall the current version completely before installing the new beta version. Also, you must export your worlds before you uninstall or they will be deleted.
|Operating System||One-to-one devices||Shared PCs|
|Windows 10S||Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Store||Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Store|
|Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Store||Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Desktop|
|Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
Version 1703 (RS2) and earlier
|Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Desktop||Minecraft: Education Edition for Windows Desktop|
|Windows Server (all editions)||Not supported||Not supported|
The above table recommends which version of the Beta will be compatible with your environment. You can download the two different types of applications below.
General information on getting started with Minecraft: Education Edition on Windows is available here.