Minecraft: Education Edition releases regular updates with new features to make your experience even better! This article will answer many questions you may have about updating to a new version or enabling / disabling auto updates.
Updating Minecraft: Education Edition on your devices
- Desktop app (Windows): Will look for updates when a user logs into their computer as long as https://downloads.minecrafteduservices.com is not blocked by your network.
- Store app (Windows): Will give a store notification when the update is available. Automatic updates can be configured in store settings
- Chromebook: Updates are configured in the managed Play Store. Guidance can be found here
- Mac app: Will need to manually install from our download page
- iPad app: Updates and auto updates can be managed through the App Store. Guidance can be found here.
Note: If a device does not auto update, it may be because your organization has blocked automatic updates. If you have install permissions, you can always download the latest version from our download page.
How to manually update
- Back up your worlds as they may be deleted when you uninstall your current version. Note that worlds are only deleted during a manual update, and not when you are auto-updated.
- Uninstall the version that you are currently running on your device
- Visit the download page to download and install the latest version
Determining current version
When you open Minecraft: Education Edition, the version number is displayed in the lower right hand edge of the home screen.
Info on latest content in the newest version
Check out the What's New page for information about the latest release, including version number and new features.
Preventing automatic updates
- Windows Desktop app::
- Search for "Task Scheduler"
- Select "Task Scheduler Library" in the left menu
- Right-click "Minecraft Education Edition Automatic Updater" in the list that populates
- Select "Disable" from the context menu that appears
- Windows Store app:
- Follow the reverse of the steps listed here.
- No automatic updates
- See Apple's guide to automatic updates here