Articles in this section
The Microsoft Store for Education is retiring in 2023. After migration, you will manage your Minecraft Education licenses in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center. There will be changes to how your licenses appear in your products list in the Admin Center and how Teacher roles are assigned in the Minecraft Education application.
How this will affect your organization
In the Store for Education, licenses purchased through volume licensing appeared as a single license type with the name Minecraft: Education Edition - Volume licensing. To assign a Minecraft Education Teacher role to a user with this type of license, an additional Faculty type license had to be assigned to the user, such as “Office 365 A1 Faculty.”
The Admin Center allows for both student and faculty volume licensing products. After migration, users that were assigned Minecraft: Education Edition - Volume licensing in the Store for Education will be assigned either the Minecraft Education Student or Minecraft Education Faculty license in the admin center. These assignments will depend on which type of licenses your organization purchased through a CSP, EES or other agreement.
Teacher Role assignment
- If a user had a Teacher role in Minecraft Education before migration, they will have the Teacher role after migration. The additional licenses used to assign the Teacher role before migration will still be assigned to users and will continue to determine role after migration.
- If a user did not have a Teacher role in Minecraft Education before migration they will not have it after migration.
- When the Minecraft Education Faculty license is assigned to a user after migration, Minecraft Education will NOT assign the Teacher role to the user unless the user has an additional faculty license.
What you need to do to prepare
- After migration, login to the admin center and review the migration report on the license detail page for your Minecraft Education subscription (under Billing -> Licenses). If you see issues with the report, reach out to the Minecraft Education support team.
- If your users are reporting that they have the wrong level of permissions in Minecraft Education, look at the licenses assigned to them, and use the guide above to determine how their licenses will affect their role in Minecraft Education.
- Note that it may take up to 7 days for the license assignment changes to be recognized by Minecraft Education.